Thursday 31 March 2016

Farmoor & Lark Hill 31 March

Farmoor

With the prospect of sunnier conditions today, I went back to the southern edge of Farmoor 2 again to try for more shots of the Red-necked Grebe. However there was a cool northerly breeze causing the water to be very choppy, right up to the edge. The grebe was generally keeping its distance and being less obliging than it can be. Just once or twice it briefly came close enough for worthwhile photos but getting sharp pics was difficult given the waves.

Just before I left I was surprised to see one of the Great Northern Divers bobbing around in the swell off the SW corner of F2 - quite close to the grebe.



Red-necked Grebe (again!)
Click here for a larger image of the upper photo

Lark Hill, Wantage

On the way home, I decided on the spur of the moment to call in on Lark Hill as it can occasionally produce interesting sightings during passage. Even before I arrived at the water works area I came across a Swallow over the buildings, and then  almost immediately I saw a brief glimpse of what looked remarkably like a Wheatear on the top of the green water-works mound. I stayed around for a little while to be sure, and out it popped again giving better views this time. So a remarkably productive visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment