Friday 24 August 2018

Standlake Pit 60: 23 August


I wasn't expecting much from this visit, given the meagre recent records by others. It was quite late in the morning that I settled into the LL hide. My initial impression was there wasn't much about -  just a Little Egret off to the left and a distant Common Sand call was about it, apart from a good flock of Sand Martins over the lake.

However after a while, the Little Egret decided to come my way, and came pretty close before taking fright and flying past the hide. It then disappeared off down the far end for a time before coming back all the way round the shore. This time the sun was out briefly and the light was better as it was approaching from the "right" (i.e. northerly) direction, and I managed to get these shots as it stopped to fish and then walked right past the hide.

Little Egret & Perch. For a larger image click here

Moments after catching the fish. For a larger image click here

Too close for my lens to get it all in!
For a larger image click here

No comments:

Post a Comment