Tuesday 31 December 2019

Short-eared Owls - 30 December

Full days of sunshine are at a premium at this time of year, and it was good to be able to go out of the county again, this time in search of one of my favourite birds - Short-eared Owls. Unlike last year, when I drew a blank, this afternoon I was more fortunate with at least 3 birds seen from about 14:00 onwards. Although most sightings were distant, once or twice they came closer.

This photo is one of the last I got, shortly before sunset, very much in the "golden-hour". I was surprised afterwards to see this bird was carrying a prey item  - perhaps a Field Mouse?

Any other suggestions on the prey item?

Short-eared Owl with prey.
To see a higher-res image, go to this page on my website.

The photo below was taken earlier on, and was of a hunting lower down:

Short-eared Owl hunting.
To see a higher-res image, go to this page on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment