Saturday 13 August 2016

Pit 60: 13 August - no GW Egret!

I spent around 3 hours in the Langley Lane Hide this morning hoping for the Great White Egret to show, as it had been last reported as recently as Wednesday. It didn't!

However, there was a reasonable collection of other things to see during the wait. The highlight was probably a Hobby that flew over the hide and caused a juvenile Starling to panic so much it flew into the hide through the observation slit I had open! Fortunately it quickly found its way out again.

Waders included 3 Oystercatchers, 1 Green Sandpiper and several Lapwings. The Common Terns were still around and their occasional close-ish approaches to the hide probably kept me here longer than I would have otherwise. Unfortunately, apart from the odd Little Egret that was about it... Perhaps I should have tried Otmoor for the Purple Heron but, as that is being seen so infrequently, the chances of me connecting with it are virtually zero.

When it warmed up later, I saw Common Darter and Brown Hawker along the lane.

Common Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment