Sunday 10 September 2017

Thin pickings: 9 September

Ever hopeful of migrants at this time of year, I again tried Farmoor, where, unlike last week, it was feeling distinctly autumnal. Walking over the causeway, I met Bob & then  Dai who reported a Ringed Plover at the far end, a Common Sand somewhere about and a couple of Wheatears, as well a Shag or two. 

Well by the time I reached the causeway end, I had seen no waders and the weather at the Pinkhill hide was apparently too cool for any dragonflies. Walking the long way back round F2, I found nothing within photo range, so departed without having taken a single shot!

The day was however partially saved by a last minute diversion to the lay-by at Letcombe Bassett cress beds, where I found that the Little Egret was back, probably for the winter. As I arrived it was very close, but it took fright before I could get the camera on it. Fortunately,  it didn't fly too far though...

Little Egret

While I was waiting in vain for it to come closer, a Kingfisher flew past and a Grey Wagtail appeared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment